To many coats???
As our preacher talked this weekend ' In the JIM' - the book of James. James talked about works and faith. Faith + Salvation....works. This is so true for me.
This summer I am trying to teach my children that doing something for someone is not always about money.
When I was growing up you did things for 'older people' because they asked you to. Not because there is money involved. We would bring groceries in for our great grandmother that lived two doors down. Help wash her dog. Help with picking up pecans and then shelling them for Christmas Cookies- the cookies you didn't share with anyone- everyone got their own bag at christmas. You would help set the table and getting ready for family gatherings. You did it because they asked you to help. These were great life lessons that I will never forget. Kids today think that whamo everything just happens.
We have an elderly lady in our neighboorhood that has very little family that helps her. She is a fanactic about her lawn and will mow it at least once a week. She can no longer do this because of health problems. William and his friend in the neighborhood helped her mow the lawn and blow her driveway. I had to explain to both of these boys that they will look back and say 'I remember that....' A lesson learned is that it not always about money.
Going back to the sermon from Sunday...it is not that you have a coat, but that you share the others with those that don't have. This is a life lesson not just giving because you have.
Also this week I gave away an old lawnmower to someone who wanted a broken one to fix and sell. Douglas is an electrician not a mechanic so I gave it away. The next day a friend of mine asked me if I knew anyone that needed a lawnmower. God blessed us again. Again, give from your heart and God takes care of your needs ( not all the time, but sometimes your wants too).
Life Lessons are all around us...take the time to experince them for what they are and not be greedy about time or resources. God will bless you.
Til next time!
i hate haters...
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment